Sunday, August 31, 2014

KBistro?

I’ve been living in Sonoma County for a fair amount of time.  I still consider myself a Fort Bragger, though.  It’s where my friends are.  I like the down-home feel.  I prefer the cooler summers.  I have clients in Fort Bragg, so I’m fortunate to be able to make it back “home” once a week or so.  Not a single day goes by on the coast without someone asking me about doing another restaurant.  Cooking is my passion, and I feel it’s a gift I’ve been given.  Selling wine, not so much, to be completely honest.

I have plans, and I’ve had my eye on a couple of places...one in Fort Bragg and another close by.  But, sad to say, if you haven’t been there recently, the economy hasn’t shown much improvement since the debacle of ‘08.  Bank of America’s closing up shop, the hospital’s bankrupt, and the College of the Redwoods’ local campus couldn’t make it.  Mendocino College out of Ukiah is offering classes there to keep the property open.  The good news?  I’m hearing the restaurant business on the coast is picking up.  Bottom line?  I really don’t want to go for another restaurant in a poor economic climate.  It’s a tough enough business to make it work when things are humming along.

In the meantime, I’m doing a bit of catering, and I continue to try to support some of the fundraisers that the Rendezvous always tried to help out, particularly the Wine & Crab Festival for the Mendocino Coast Clinics and Winesong, benefiting the Mendocino Coast District Hospital.  Winesong ‘14 will be my 23rd.  I participate under what I think will be the name of my next endeavor--KBistro.  I’m envisioning Rendezvous-style food (i.e. Country-French), in, obviously, more of a bistro-style setting.  Lunch and dinner.  I’d like to draw a lot from my experiences having lived in France.  Perhaps a complimentary kir when you’re seated.  Good, inexpensive house wines served in pitchers.  Nothing fancy, but striving for the excellence we sought at the Rendezvous.  Proper cooking, proper seasoning, amazing flavors.  Relaxed, but superb, French-style service.

We’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome communication with the chef and staff at the Rendezvous Inn & Restaurant. Please keep everything sensible. As we are constantly seeking ways to improve, we welcome thoughtful, constructive criticism. Our goal is to provide you with the best experience possible at the Rendezvous Inn & Restaurant

Our time is tight, particularly with a lean, mean staff necessitated by the current economic environment. We will do our best to post as often as we can.